Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What are your top eight things?

Yesterday I was emailing back and forth with a dear friend and she had some interesting questions for me. She told me how much she liked reading my blog and how it made her feel closer to me, but she wondered why I always write about things I need to change about myself. One of her questions was: "what about the things you are already awesome at". Of course I was stumped. I mean, who writes about how great they are? That would be bragging, wouldn't it? I wrote back that I would have to think about it, that I couldn't name things off the top of my head.

Do you know what she did next? She wrote me back the "top 8 things about Vicki". How totally off the charts incredible is that? What an amazing friend I have! It wasn't just that she took the time to do it, but each one of them required a lot of thought. They weren't simply: I like your red hair or I like the clothes you wear. They showed how she TRULY knows me, like really, really knows me. And not only that, she truly GETS me. I have never in my 41 years have someone write a list like that. Just re-reading it again this morning, I can feel the tears coming back.

So, this morning it hit me? Which of us could write a list of our "top 8 things"? Or even five for that matter? I know before I got that email yesterday, I probably couldn't have done it. But now that I have it in writing, I can see that I'm pretty darn cool. :-)

Or better yet, what if you picked a friend today and wrote them the 5 or 8 or 10 things you really like about him/her? Can you imagine how it would lift their spirits? Can you imagine the smile they would have? The sense of value and self worth and just pure love?

Today I challenge each of you that read this to please do just that. If you can't write the things you love most about yourself, reach out to a friend or family member and let them know what you admire about them. Doesn't matter if it is by text, phone, email, skype, snail mail....just do it. I absolutely PROMISE it will change that person's day and probably week. I know it did for me.

One other thing I challenge you with is this: treasure your friendships. I mean, the REAL friendships. Make sure you are spending your time and energy on the people that lift you up, that love you for who you are, that will challenge you (but in a good way) and make your world a better place. Recently I had made the decision that I was going to spend my time with the people who really bring me joy and laughter, that are good with my son and also love him. I realize that I am strengthening friendships because I am giving them more care and attention. It isn't about quantity, but quality.....

Love to you all.