Thursday, February 19, 2015

An RV for Valentine's Day

My husband bought me an RV for Valentine's Day and it was the sweetest gift he could have picked out. Okay, he actually bought it a few days after, but we spent that day together as a family picking one out. And I don't think I could have asked for a better day. I know, you're probably thinking that a man should get his wife flowers and candy (he did get me those too) or a trip away for the weekend or a night out on the town for the most romantic night of the year. And some of you are probably thinking that the timing couldn't be more off - I'm still fighting cancer and he's trying to get a business off the ground. We have plenty already on our plates. But bear with me and let me explain why this was truly the perfect gift.

For ten and a half years, my husband owned and operated a business that required him to work lots and lots and LOTS of hours. He would work a twelve hour day and still have paperwork to do in the evenings. Most Saturdays he also had to work, either doing maintenance on his equipment or making up for a rain day. As much as I knew he was doing this for Alex and me, it did lead to numerous fights. I often felt like a single Mom since most of our son's care fell on my shoulders. I also had a hard time making definite plans with friends (and if I did, it led to me cancelling A LOT) because if he had to work, I had to be home. I also felt like he was missing out on a lot of big family moments that couldn't be repeated. It all got harder when I was diagnosed because I had to juggle even more.

Of course, he had his own legitimate feelings. He is the main financial supporter of our household and was literally working himself to death. There were plenty of times that he would come home exhausted, I'd be a big fat nag, and he'd feel like I just didn't appreciate him.  I know he also felt like he was missing out on things and me constantly pointing that out didn't help in the least.

So, we were at odds a lot over this issue until he recently sold his business. This has allowed him to be at home much more while he is getting his next venture off the ground. We've been able to have family dinners, spend Saturdays together, make plans with friends (and keep them) and generally become much more connected. We are now a family unit, where as before it seemed like we were going in separate directions all the time.

My in-laws have an RV or travel trailer or camper - not sure the official term, along with some good friends of ours. Hearing their travel stories got my husband interested in checking them out. I was NOT at all interested until he took Alex and I to visit one a couple weekends ago. And that's when I really got what all the fuss was about. They have power. And AC. And heat. Just like a traveling house. But what really convinced me was the big old smile on Alex's face while he ran around checking out every nook and cranny. Anything that was holding me back just went out the window in that moment.

This past Monday we narrowed it down to which one we wanted and went back to the trailer place. After all the negotiations were through and we were close to the number we wanted to be at, I asked my husband why he wanted to do this. And that's when he said the sweetest words he's ever told me. He said that being home more these last few months has made him realize how much more time he wants to spend with us. How he has enjoyed the quality family time and wants to have more. Que the swooning.

For many years I so badly wanted to renew our vows for our tenth anniversary. I planned it all in my head. I've talked about it before in this space. It's something we didn't do because my husband is not a big fan of public displays of affections. On our actual wedding day, his leg was shaking so badly that people were ready to catch him if he fell. But the other day at Burton's Camper in Calera, AL, it almost felt like we had something even more special than a vow renewal. It was a recommittment to our family. It was us both deciding that, yes, we love each other enough to travel together in a very small space. I mean, if that doesn't say true love, I don't know what does. And as much as I absolutely cherish and adore my anniversary tennis bracelet, I think this RV is even sweeter. Because it's about the three of us. Going to check out the world. Together.....Please pray for us. :-)