Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"Good job" and "thank you" are more than just words

Recently someone that I used to support at work changed positions. She wasn't someone I was paid to support, but I had a lot of respect for her, we had become good friends and I thought it was a good career move. She has been with our company for over fifteen years, she knows EVERYONE and I thought if she liked the work that I did, she would maybe share it with a couple people. Which she did - a lot. She is the type of person who will gladly give you credit when you do a good job on a project. So, when I found out she was moving to a different division, I was sad personally and professionally. I thought this meant we wouldn't get to chat as much and I wouldn't get to keep assisting her and getting my name out. As I re-read those words, they seem a bit cold, like I was using our friendship to get ahead. But it really wasn't like that. I work for a large company and you have to take every opportunity you can for people to recognize what you're capable of.

As her last day came and went, my friend mentioned that I should apply for her old position. I just didn't think I had the capability to fill her shoes, so I didn't give it much more thought. Someone else suggested it about a month ago and I mulled it over but then I learned you had to live in Minnesota, and there was no chance of this Alabama girl moving there. Then last week, during my review, my boss and I were discussing how I'd been in my position for 5 1/2 years and I was feeling a bit bored. He said "why don't you apply for Sandy's old position?" I told him about it being in Minnesota and he said he could ask if that could be changed, but I decided not to have him pursue it.

Then this morning, just as I turned on my computer, I received an instant message from Sandy. She said, "hey, you've been on my mind all night and I really think you need to apply for that position." As you have all probably learned by now, I had several objections in my head. "But the person has to be in Minnesota". She told me that decision was made by only one person and could be changed. I told her the job was too many pay grades above me and she said that could be worked out. I told her that I didn't think I could do all she had done and this was her response: "If your current boss thinks you can do it and the person who used to do the work says you can, why don't YOU think you can?" I told her that I wasn't sure I was up for such a big career move, that I thought my end goal was to eventually stay at home and not work. To which she replied: "But I thought you were bored doing what you're doing?"

Well, she had me there. I am bored. I really can't say I like going to work. I've been doing it for so long now that I feel like I can do it in my sleep. Just don't tell my boss that....And that's partly why I've gotten so excited about writing. I thought it meant that my job would just be my job (no matter how lackluster and how I wished I didn't have to go) and I'd get my true fulfillment from doing this. So, I'd given up on the idea of moving up at work because I was just holding out for the day I didn't have to go, even if that was years from now. Maybe not the best attitude to have, but I couldn't imagine a role opening up that I could move into. Until today.

It was interesting timing because my husband and I were talking about some other things last night that we were giving up to God, one of them being two new business ventures he's trying to decide between. Depending on which one God leads us towards, I definitely wouldn't be able to take the new job anyway. With the hours he'd have to work, it would be impossible for me to take on added responsibility at my job. He'd be working 70+ hours a week the first year and I would need to be the main caregiver for our son. But if God points us in the other direction, there would be a little more latitude. So, I figured, if we are giving that part of our lives up to God, why not this as well. I could apply for the job and leave it in His hands. If He wants me to have it, great. If He doesn't, well, then I'm not out anything. But if I DIDN'T apply then I could have been getting in His way. I mean, God is ultimately in control, but He expects us to do some of the work ourselves.

So, application sent and I decided to fill in my boss. He was perfectly fine with it and said he would help in any way he could. Filled in Sandy and she was super excited. Told the people that I'd used for references and repeat the excitement. And guess what happened next? I started to get a bit excited myself. I mean, who doesn't like to hear others say they'd be great at something? Who doesn't like to have their ego stroked just a bit? Do I ultimately think the upper echelon will see it our way? Nope? But did that matter today? Nope.

Today was about knowing that others thought I could handle it, that I offered value, that they found me deserving and were in my corner to help however they could. And even though we shouldn't need that external affirmation, truth is we do. I KNOW it's not just me. Yeah, yeah, I could be writing a blog where I say: I SHOULDN'T have needed to hear that. I SHOULD have known it myself. I SHOULD have applied without the others pushing me.

But I'm trying to get away from the "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts". Truth is, we're humans and we care about what other people think. We need to hear a "good job" every once in awhile. We need to feel like the team needs us and wouldn't be the same without us. Even if the other job doesn't come through, I feel better today about the one I have. Tomorrow I don't think I'll be dreading heading that way as much. Because I learned that "they like me, they really like me". Just kidding - I couldn't resist on that one. No, seriously though, I learned that I am an asset to the team and that means a lot. Now I just might try a bit harder and who knows, that might catch someone else's eye and another opportunity might come up.

But in the mean time, I walked away with this question: how often do I tell someone "good job"? How often do I let someone know that I appreciate them or I like what they've done or say thank you? I try to do it when I think about it, but I'm sure I could do it more. And knowing how much it meant to me, I am going to do it more. Because I'd like others to have the same feeling I had today.

Is there someone you can say "good job" to or "thank you" or let them know how much you appreciate them? Just imagine if we all told one person tomorrow? Just a thought....

Hope everyone has a great night! God bless and love to you all.